Monday, January 10, 2011

What to do: I'm Going Cuckoo


I'm having this 'thing' right now about old clock faces.
I see them everywhere in blogland,
but cannot seem to find any at affordable prices here.
(being the frugal person I am, that is important) =)

So, I found this Cuckoo clock at a sale here.
I'm not really a Cuckoo clock person, but loved the face.
Now, my dilemma:


I do not really care for the wood it is in.
Just way too much for me.
(sorry to you cuckoo clock lovers out there).
I love the face, and I love all those gears!

Aren't they great!!??

And, I love the face, over the gears.
So here is what I am trying to decide.

Do I just leave it all together?
Put the gears on a rustic wood piece
and use the clock face separate?
Or keep the gears and face together but put them on a different board?
Something sort of oldish looking.

What do you think?

Thanks for the help.

blessings

barbara jean

9 comments:

Here On Crow Creek said...

I would take the face off and take the gears out and put them under a cloche. Beautiful clock you have there.

sweet violets said...

Oh yeah....take it apart and use the pieces....it looks like some of the wood is missing off the case anyway, and is not very attractive as is....love all those gears.....cleo

Tete said...

Whatever you want to do with it, will work out for you. The wood cover could be sold if you don't want it for someone else to play with.

Susan said...

Barbara, I think your creativity will find the exact way to show itself through this clock! I can't wait to see what you do!

Anonymous said...

Barb, I'd leave everything intact and create something under the clock face inside the "box" area. I think I'd just wax the wood.

Or use the gears for something else and reinsert the clock face and do something under it.

I like the wood but it could be aged with some paint and stain.

Tara said...

i would use the gears etc.. by themselves and use the wood shell as one of my shrines. i am always looking for cool wood stuff to make into shrines. this "wood" look great!

She Uses Her Words said...

I would take it apart and either use the clock face with gears together or just use everything separate. I know how you like clock faces! Once you get started, you'll know exactly what to do!
xo, Karen

Tara said...

hi barbara jean,
i am interested in the buckles. can you give me the measurements on the inside bars?
thanks,
tara

Unknown said...

I have been collecting tons of these for awhile. I use the gears for stuff but the wooden box WOw what a great shadow box !!!