Sunday, October 17, 2010

Wonderful Old Books, and a Little Yellow Dress



This is an amazing book.
Written in 1899, this is the dedication in the front of it:

"Dedicated especially to Mothers and Fathers, sisters and brothers,
aunties and uncles and all interested in the
training and education of the little ones."
This is inside the front cover.
Not sure what Cherries has to do with anything,
but beautiful art.
(sorry for sideways)
And there are two inscriptions on two different pages.
One in 1902, and one in 1903.

The book is filled with Bible references, short stories,
poetry, and tons of pictures.
(oops. forgot to load pictures.)
This book is literally falling apart,
and I love it!!


Here is another 'blue' book find.

This book, with a whole list of copyrights from 1899-1911,
has a bit of everything you can imagine in it,
including stories, history, poetry, the human body,
United States, Canada, all countries, the earth, and even things to make.
It is just the most wonderful book.

These Cherubs are inside the front cover.
A picture painted some 120 years ago by Sir Joshua Reynolds.
These drawings were all of the same little girl,
and now hangs (now being early 1900's)
in the National Gallery in London.

Here are some pages from the book.



Here is my yellow today.
( the books, and the little dress are some of my sweet finds lately)

This is the palest yellow baby dress I have ever scene.
And look at the detail. So tiny and delicate.

This post is dedicated to Lu Lu Liz in LaLaLand,
who has been 'patiently' waiting to see some of my newest finds.
Thanks, sweetie, for getting me in gear!! =)

Hope this motivates others to share heir finds,
and that you will go visit these other great blogs
and see what everyone has to offer.

blessings and happy Monday.

barbara jean

17 comments:

Lesley said...

What a gorgeous, delicate little yellow dress.
But, I now want to more about "the sad and beautiful Effie Deans"

sweet violets said...

How sweet those things are....my daughter has a book similar...I think it is A YOUng Girls Guide....it has homemaking tips and is so charming....have to find it to share.....one section tells how to keep a dirt floor clean and how to etch decorations in it for when company comes!!! Obviously before my time.....hugs...cleo

FYH said...

What a beautiful yellow dress...

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Sigh...I love sweet vintage books!!

tinyskillet said...

The detail on the little yellow dress is amazing. Could you imagine doing that by hand? Very interesting post, thanks for sharing!

Auntie E said...

Great photos. I love Vintage things. these look in great condition.
My Blue Monday link for you

Hearts content said...

Oh I love the baby clothing that you have found. Very nice details.

Home Sweet Home said...

I haven't read a book like that but I like the idea of homemaking tips that it would share.

SmilingSally said...

You've posted a bunch of treasures for today, Barb. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Blue Monday.

Chubskulit Rose said...

Very nice post, I like that kind of yellow very pleasing to the eyes!!

Please come and see my Mellow Yellow post when you have time. Thank you and have a nice day!

Miss Hillbilly said...

What wonderful books! I just love old books like those and go crazy over them!!

I LOVE garage sale days just for the books!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a lovely post, Barbara Jean! I collect books, and I particularly love antique ones like the ones you shared. Beautiful! And that dress is adorable.

Happy Blue Monday...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Annie Jeffries said...

Your blue books are a wonderful find; the illustrations and wisdom are timeless.

Love the little yellow dress. It reminds me of some of my mother's own baby clothes which I am very fortunate to have.

Lululiz said...

Barb, you are the best! I know, patient I ain't, lol, but I just knew that you would have the nicest things to show, and I so wanted to see them. I wasn't disappointed either, the books are gorgeous, such wonderful illustrations. And that sweet little dress, delicious. Thank you for being so obliging, tehehehe. xxx

Lisa Gordon said...

Lovely photos. This is my first time here. You have a beautiful blog.

Ann said...

Your blue books are just lovely. Any vintage book intrigues me, the illustrations are beautiful. The one picture of the cherubs must be gorgeous in the museum.
Ann

Donnie said...

Great photos - I love your blue things. Happy Blue Monday.